Thursday 21 January 2010

Wossy's Bucks Fizz moment is finally upon us

Jonathan Ross is what some might call a 'British institution', taking his place on Friday night television for as long as we can remember and hosting his popular Radio 2 show. But alas it was recently announced that he is leaving the Beeb following one pay-cut too many, prompting the question 'what will he do next?'

In their reporting, the papers would suggest that Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, Film 2010 with Jonathan Ross and his Radio 2 show will be neatly bundled up and taken with him to his next home but I fear that in the move much will be lost.

Because in reality Ross has a great eye for film (I realise this is quite the contentious statement, feel free to disagree) there is no other TV show which provides in-depth analysis and features like Film 2010 and in fact this is the only time that I can stand to watch the man.

Always portrayed as the comedian, Ross is actually not that funny. Yes I said it. He can get a giggle out of an audience at a push but every time he cracks a joke anybody who's seen a Ricky Gervais DVD screams 'heard it!' at the TV.

My point here isn't to lay into poor Wossy, the guy's talented and has made a lot of money doing what he does but I just think we're all missing out on his best quality which is as a serious movie reviewer. I don't know, maybe I'll start a facebook group or something, but the last thing we need is another inane chat show, give us what we need, an intelligent weekly overview of the film industry... Please!

No comments: