Thursday 28 January 2010

You haven't seen Quadrophenia?

The topic of films is shortly to be banned between my boyfriend and I, mostly because I'm sick and tired of the phrase "oh my God! you haven't seen..." shortly followed by "and you call yourself a film buff?" I can't imagine anybody in the world dropping "by the way, I don't know if you're aware that I'm a film buff," and if there's anybody that does, I bet he's a tosser.

I for one certainly do not claim to be an expert in films, merely a bit of a snob - two completely different types of arse.

Part of my film snobbery is to claim that there are few films I like pre Drop Dead Fred (1991) but, in the hope of becoming more open-movie-minded I have started on the 'oh my God you haven't seen' list. First on the list was his Die Hard box set which sent me running for anything else I could possibly find. Cue a late night showing of the '70s Mods and Rockers film Quadrophenia.

All I can say after watching it is that I now know what an Eastenders audition tape consists of (oh and what Ray Winstone's willy looked like 30 years ago). This isn't to say that I didn't enjoy it, it instantly reminded me of This is England with its 'snapshot' style, showing a portion of a life as opposed to a beginning, middle and end, you feel that nothing much happened yet come away with a new opinion on life way back when we were mere twinkles in our parents' eyes.

No comments: